Thursday, October 9, 2008

Stand For Something!

I get it now.

I've really always understood the importance of protecting marriage and of course I would vote yes on Prop 8. But until a few weeks ago I didn't see the big picture. But now I do and I'm feeling a bit ticked off.

You know we are told to be nice, to respect others and even love everyone. I know this is true. But somehow I feel like we have "being niced" ourselves into being taken advantaged of. I think of this past conference and the references to the Book of Mormon example of Amalickiah poisoning Lehonti by degrees, so that he could accomplish his ultimate goal of taking over the kingdom of the Lamanites. (Alma 47) I feel we too are being poisoned by degrees.

I was talking to a friend of mine about Prop 8 and we agreed whole heartily about everything it encompasses. I offered some bumper stickers for their cars. My friend said they would put them on one of their cars but not the one that was driven to work. They explained that their boss was a Lesbian and they were fearful of offending her if she saw the bumper sticker.

What the Heck?! What about us?!

I'm greatly offended that if we don't stop being afraid of offending someone simply because we are professing our beliefs, soon we may not have the very right to believe and worship as we do now.

I will come clean about this, I admit when Prop 8 bumper stickers became available I was hesitate to put it on my car. First I am not a bumper sticker person to begin with, but mostly it was because I pictured our new van being egged, keyed or otherwise vandalized by opponents of Prop 8. But last Sunday, everything sunk in and I decided I was not going to be intimidated anymore, I will not be slowly poisoned and allow my kingdom to be taken over. I put that bumper sticker on our car and have felt great about it ever since.

There have been many profound things said about this issue that I could share here, but for now I would like to type a quote I found given by a local pastor in our city. I don't know him and I don't attend his church, but I appreciate that he puts into words what I have been feeling about this whole thing but haven't been able to express adequately myself.

"My graduate studies are in historical theology and the history of the church. On rare occasions, there come 'tipping points,' times which, when viewed later, proved to be the 'hinges' of history. All historians recognize them a half century later. But the key is for discerning persons to recognize them as they are happening, and then respond appropriately.

"We are at one of those moments. This is THE major change point of the last few decades. While the abortion issue is a foundational issue, the marriage definition issue is a survival issue. No single social issue has threatened to forever muzzle Bible believing Christians like this contest.

"If we lose on this one, the culture loses. One person has astutely observed that ’we cannot win the culture war merely on Prop 8, but we can lose it on Prop 8.'

"It is imperative that all pastors and Christian leaders view this for what it is: an irretrievable moment, with profound and lasting consequences. We must vigorously support Prop 8, as if our ministries and our lives depend on it. Ultimately, they will."

-Dr. Jim Garlow
Senior Pastor
Skyline Wesleyan Church
CA
Leader, CA Pastors Rapid Response Team

3 comments:

The MOM of 4 Greenstreets said...

You go sister! BTW -- you got a new van and you didn't tell me about it????

Bry and Rach said...

ditto! I wish I was a resident of Cali right now so I could vote there. Even though it may not come soon to Utah...we will be hit eventually and we need to be ready and have our minds firmly in place, directing us in the ways of the Kingdom!!!!

Tami said...

great post. I have felt the same feelings. Ultimately, I decided that I don't want to be one of the "lukewarm" that are spewed out. I'm sure this won't be the last time we are called on to take a stand. It's a good test of character...who do I fear??? God or Man?