Friday, January 16, 2009

love in the little things <3

Tonight I decided (out of boredom & free time) to paint my fingernails.

This simple act brought me to recall sweet memories I made with Grandma Gardner. <3
One of the few things I claimed after she passed away was her Revlon Liquid Quick Dry, which "Instantly Dries Nail Enamel." :)

Now, this is pretty silly, and I doubt anyone else even took second thought about her nail care and polish crate under her sink in the bathroom, but certain nostalgic feelings arise when I remember her love shown through little actions--one of the many was nail painting. There was a point in my childhood when I remember going to Grandma's house, and for one reason or the other, almost every time I arrived she was either filing or painting her nails. I distinctly remember how perfectly shaped her nails were and how I liked the look of the ridges on her nails through the slightly metallic rose-colored polish. The times I came over and she wasn't doing her nails, I would be sure to grab her supplies for her and drop the "subtle" hint that I'd like her to paint my nails that day. She would always willingly comply by lovingly taking my small hands in her warm, soft hands and placing them on one of the towels that draped over her chair arm rests -- oh how special I felt.



I am so grateful for love in the little thing
s.

Sw
eet grandma, I love & miss you. <3
here's my heart,

Caitlin Noël

8 comments:

The MOM of 4 Greenstreets said...

What a sweet memory of your grandma Cait. Thanks for sharing.

The Mom said...

Cait, that was really nice. Did you know Andrea has requested memories from the grand kids about Grandma and Grandpa for the book she is making? This would be grat. I will forward the email in case you didn't get it.

Love you Sweetie.

kmickeld said...

Thanks Caitlin. We Love your Grandma

Shannon said...

I had a similar experience the other day... I bought new body wash and it smelled just like Grandma's lotion. John of course thought I was a little crazy remembering my Grandma while washing in the shower. But I am really glad to have such sweet memories.

Weston said...

ahh sister you almost made me tear up. I've been a wimp lately. That was sweet sister. You're a sweet sister.

THE Mama said...

Oh, Caitlin...I am all teared up. Mom always took care of her nails, and used lotion to keep her hands soft much to Dad's dislike for the lotion all over the cupboards. I miss her too and love the smell of her lotion and the "pains of beauty" she always called it that she took to heart and set that example for us all. Suzy said she was going to make this her "Emma Jean" year and get up and look nice everyday. thanks for sharing, hope things are going well in school. love ya Auntie Chris

Andrea said...

cait. .. very sweet. great memory. thanks for sharing.

Sue said...

That's one of those things I could have learned from mom but didn't. Nail polish tends to make my fingernails feel like they are smothering.